Needle Felting!

 
     This is something I have been wanting to try for a while and now I finally have! Its even more amazing than I thought it would be. I guess it's pretty similar to sculpting with clay but instead of clay you are using wool. I still don't completely understand how the magic happens, but the felting needle has little barbs on the end of it that catch the fibers from the wool and make them interlock and stick together. So its a lot of stabbing at clumps of wool to make it thicker and more firm.
     A friend of mine started needle felting a little bit before I tried it and was telling me how dangerous the needle is and how she stabbed herself so many times. I was about half way through my little felt sculpture when I remembered what she said and thought she must have been careless because I hadn't pricked myself even once yet, 5 minutes later I stabbed the needle completely through the side of my finger, and then there were many other pricks after that. So needle felting can be pretty painful, but it's totally worth it!
     I bought a starter kit at Michaels and then some extra wool for other sculptures. The starter kit came with the felting needle, black, white, red, and orange wool, a foam pad, and instructions on how to make a penguin! So here is my finished product! (The instructions showed you how to make the penguin wearing a red scarf but I wanted a big red bow instead :p )



       If you are ever looking for something new to try I highly recommend needle felting. It can also be mixed with clay sculpting, sewing, and tons of other things to create super wonderful things!!
My next sculpture will probably be a mix of clay and needle felting :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

About

Yelena Ivy | 22 | Hobby Collector